Monday, February 2, 2009

Adoption

Chapter 12 of the 1689 Baptist Confession of Faith properly sets forth the Doctrine of Adoption...
"All those that are justified, God vouchsafed, in and for the sake of his only Son Jesus Christ, to make partakers of the grace of adoption, by which they are taken into the number, and enjoy the liberties and privileges of the children of God, have his name put upon them, receive the spirit of adoption, have access to the throne of grace with boldness, are enabled to cry Abba, Father, are pitied, protected, provided for, and chastened by him as by a Father, yet never cast off, but sealed to the day of redemption, and inherit the promises as heirs of everlasting salvation."

Some years ago a vile young lad on the school yard looked into the eyes of a precious young lady and spouted the most hurtful words, "You live with your Uncle! I live with my real Mom and Dad!"

That night when she came home, with her heart still aching from the dreadful pierce of the young foes tongue, she poured out her heart to her Uncle. His answer would heal her wounds, heal her spirit, and lift her from despair...

"You return to school tomorrow and tell that young lad the following... His Father by law is required to take care of him. If he refuses, he'll be imprisoned. When his Father dies the law demands that he receive a portion of his Father's inheritance." He continued with gentleness, and a compassionate smile, "Now consider this: I was not obligated by the law to care for you when your parents passed. There were others who could have taken you in and provided for you. Yet, even though it was not my obligation nor moral duty, I chose you. I chose to adopt you and bring you into my home. I chose to make you my own. I chose to leave to you all my inheritance, and cast upon you all of my love. You are my beloved, chosen, special child."

Does this story sound familiar? It should...
Ephesians 1:3-6 ESV (3) Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, (4) even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love (5) he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, (6) to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved.

1 comment: